I just finished “What I Did On My Summer Vacation,” clearly a very 20th century topic. Now on to the 21st century topic. “Cool Tech I Am Used This Summer.” Instead of a travel log, I am showing how I used my summer vacation “time” to use cool tools and websites. I really learned a lot from the various conference and the eduverse. Thanks everyone!
- I got an iPad this summer and I tend to use it more than my laptop. I didn’t “create” a lot of videos or music, but once the school year begins, I see myself using it for meetings, conferences, getting information, and interacting with music. I love the music apps and more recently got 14 iPod Touches in my music classroom. 21st century music here we are!
Music Personal Learning Network http://musicpln.org/pln-posts/landing/
- Thanks to Dr. Joseph M. Pisano for setting up this innovative networking site. We as music educators must connect and share. This has been an amazing social network, along with Monday night chat on twitter #musedchat.
- I have had an account for a long time, but really didn’t see the need until I got an iPhone (to take pictures) and an iPad (to take notes of a meeting/conference) This has completely transformed my life. I sync all the files on my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad
OfficeHD for the iPad http://www.bytesquared.com/products/office/ipad/default.asp
- I can now edit and save on my Google Docs and iDisc. I have this only only my iPad. I use my Google Docs for collaboration, Evernote for Professional Notes, and iDisc for presentation files and email downloads from people/administration from school.
PreziDesktop 3 http://prezi.com/desktop/
- I have used Prezi before, but with PreziDesktop 3, I don’t have the lag time with the online version. I plan on using it for “Curriculum Nights” at my school in the fall. I will post the link once I am finished.
Bento for iPad/iPhone http://www.bentotrial.com/trial/default.aspx
- I am using Bento for the grading and for the final awards I give out at the end of the year. Filemaker 11 is fine, but I like the interface and creating my own forms. I know you can do this in Filemaker, but it seems that Bento is easier and cooler than Filemaker. Plus, it only costs $4.99, as the Filemaker app is around $50.
- I have been using this for the past year. ALL my bookmarks are on Diigo, then posted to Delicious. But, daily living I use bookmarks on the browser. Having identical bookmarks on ALL my browsers makes me so fast in finding things.
- I am hooked on this. It is an add-on extension on IE, Chrome, and Firefox, coming soon to Safari. It enhances your search and you can save link and information directly to your google account. You HAVE to check this out!
- This is a search engine for students and works great with yolink!! My students research skills are going to go off the charts.
- E-books are the new norm. Making them with calibre is amazing. (Plus, this is a free download!) You can then directly put it in your iBooks on your iPad.
The surprising truth about what motivates us
So, that’s what I have been doing this summer, using new links and software to being more efficient and creative. There really isn’t any new
I have to include a video, it’s just me! Here’s a great one, highly innovative, creative, and makes your think!